These photos show how the heart of Hunslet and Leeds city centre have changed over the last 35 years. Hunslet Grange (Leek Street flats) have come and gone, and thousands of high rise flats in and around the city centre now form the backdrop to the 2009 photo. The one consistent feature is the 156 foot spire of St.Mary's church in the centre of the village that grew around Church Street and Waterloo Road. The centre was well-established by the 1850s.


The map below shows the street pattern in 1932.
Hover over Red circles to show places listed in a 1936 trade directory. Green circles  show other interesting places, no matter when they were built. Yellow circles denote pubs. Click on Blue circles to open up more detailed maps or to read more about a particular place. Two of the circles will take you to more detailed maps and pages about Waterloo Road and Church Street (or use the drop down box above).
N
Pictodrome cinema
Spotted Dog pub
J & J Ingham, nail manufacturer (closed 1953)
Chas. Lightowler, tin canister manufacturer, Joseph Street
Jn. Holmes, wholesale clothiers, Joseph Street
St. Joseph's R.C. Church (1860-2004)
Salvation Army Barracks
East Hunslet Liberal Club
St.Joseph's R.C. Infants and Girls Schools
Hunslet Branch Library
The Anchor Inn
Garden Gate pub
Click to see Waterloo Road in detail
Swan Hotel
Sun Inn
T.G. & J.Jubb Ltd., lead pipe manufacturer, Jack Lane
Brassmoulder's Arms
Click to see Church Street in detail
Drawn Metal Ltd, shop front manufacturer
Hunslet remembered
Church St
Jack Lane
Low Rd
Joseph St
Anchor St
Waterloo Rd
Hunslet Memorial Temperance Hall (built 1923)
Hunslet centre photo gallery. Click to open a pop-up
1 St. Joseph's School (1946)

1 St. Joseph's School (1946)

2 Anchor Street (1964)

2 Anchor Street (1964)

3 Anchor Street (1964)

3 Anchor Street (1964)

4 T.G. & J.Jubb, Jack Lane (1964)

4 T.G. & J.Jubb, Jack Lane (1964)

5 Shops at Jack Lane (1964)

5 Shops at Jack Lane (1964)

6 Salvation Army Citadel, Jack Lane (1964)

6 Salvation Army Citadel, Jack Lane (1964)

7 Charles Lightowler (late 1960s/early 1970s)

7 Charles Lightowler (late 1960s/early 1970s)

8 Grocer at Jack Laane/Richard Street

8 Grocer at Jack Laane/Richard Street


2 Anchor Street, nos.29-35. Grocer L. Barratt at no.35. New Harrogate pub wall to left.

3. Anchor Street nos.42-54

4 Jubb's was a lead pipe manufacturer.
Salvation Army Citadel to left.

5. Jack Lane nos.220-226. Iris ladies' hairdresser on left, then a barber's shop, then Alan's Bargain Stores - known as the "murder shop" - "We don't cut prices, we murder them". Alan also had a shop on Waterloo Road, or did he move from Jack Lane?

6 Some children used to follow the marching band into the Citadel itself and played the tambourine. Rylstone Street on left.

7 School dentist building just visible on right (this was the dental clinic Keith Waterhouse remembered) and Hunslet Grange flats on left.

8. Advertised above the shop are products including Burwicks baking powder and Robinsons Lemon Barley. Above the shop window is the slogan 'shop inside and go home satisfied' while below signs promote Park Drive cigarettes, Brooke Bond tea, Players Weights cigarettes, Senior Service cigarettes, banana's, Typhoo tea and Tizer, and Ogden's Cobnut, St. Bruno's and Walnut tobacco. Aspro and Rennies tablets are promoted alongside Lyons tea and Craven 'A' cigarettes. A bubble gum machine stands by the shop door


 
All images copyright of Leeds Library and Information Services
Looking over Hunslet in 1974...
...and in 2009
The Swan with Two Necks
Wesleyan Centenary Chapel
Vitriol Works (Sulphuric Acid)
Chemical Works
Malt Kiln
Baptist Chapel
Glue Manufactory
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Flax Mill
The Royal Exchange pub
Wesleyan Sunday School
The Garden Gate pub
The map below is from 1847. Much of the Centre had been developed by this time, although the areas to the west of Jack Lane and north of Greenwood Street (later Joseph Street) were still largely open: Hunslet was a distinct and separate village.
Scale one inch to about 100 yards
An advertisement from 1910
Back to top
Barber Brothers, wheelwrights, Leak's Yard
 
 
 
 
More information about the photos
Click for Hunslet Boys Club
St. Joseph's Presbytery
Convent of Our Blessed Lady Of Mercy (Sisters of Mercy)
Joseph Street Gospel Hall
Prefabs were built here after the Second World War
Go to Grove Road map
Centre
You are here: Home > Places > Centre
The New Harrogate
Robin Hood Hotel
Go to Jack Lane map
Penny Hill (undated)
          Peter Unwin
Continue to Waterloo Road (1)
Continue to Church Street (1)
Hardisty's Yard
Wesleyan Chapel
.