Hunslet remembered
Church Street. Acid manufacturers. The building was previously Hunslet National School (1843-1895). After Nicholson's it became Laporte Chemicals. The site is now occupied by Tate Accident Repair Centre.
See Grove Road area map.
 
South Accommodation Road and Belinda Street. Glass bottle and other glass container manufacturer. At one time they had three factories: the Albert (Albert Street off South Accommodation Road), Belinda (Belinda Street) and Clarence Glassworks (South Accommodation Road).

Thomas Lax and John Schofield Shaw began their company in 1892 at the Albert Glassworks. They produced high quality bottles and patented the 'Feeder', a boat shaped babies bottle with a teat at each end. In 1899 they opened a second works on Belinda Street. It had been previously owned by the Doyle family, amongst others. The Doyle's were well known glass and china dealers. Lax and Shaw continued to flourish, buying a third site on Clarence Road. By the 1920s, despite modernisation, the Belinda Street works was found to be uneconomical and it closed in 1928. Production was moved to the South Accommodation Road. Lax & Shaw are now part of Allied Glass.
John Nicholson. The chequerboard markings are blackout safety measures (photo 1943)
Image copyright of Leeds Library and Information Services
Wakefield Road. At the end of the 19th century John Waddington, an apprentice printer, went into partnership with Wilson Barratt, an actor-manager at Leeds Grand Theatre, to print theatre posters and related material. John Waddington Ltd. was formed in 1905, became a public company in 1921, and by 1923 the business had developed on a national scale.

In 1922 they moved from Great Wilson Street to take over a factory that formerly made typewriters on Wakefield Road. This became Waddington's headquarters as well as a packaging factory.

The company, with several sites, printed playing cards 1921, followed by diversification into folding cartons, jigsaw puzzles and games from 1933, starting with Lexicon. In 1935 their famouse association with Monopoly began: Parker Brothers sent them a sample of the board game. It was enthusiastically received and Waddington's were granted the  licence to make it.
After the war they started to print foreign banknotes. In the early 1990s around 2,700 were employed and exports went worldwide. The games part of the business was sold to Hasbro in 1994. The Wakefield Road packaging factory was later demolished and the site is now the headquarters of First Direct. See Pepper Lane area map.
                  
South Accommodation Road. Kaye’s patent locks once supplied their carriage locks to over 40 railway companies worldwide.

An advertisement from 1901-2
                      
Jack Lane. Richard Humble and John and Joshua Green established it in 1770. They made creamware that was used in middle class houses, becoming a rival to Wedgwood. A London warehouse opened in 1783 and by 1790 they were exporting to Russia, Germany, Holland, France, Spain and the colonies. The pottery closed in 1806, re-opened in 1813, went bankrupt in 1830, re-opened in 1849, and finally closed in 1881. From 1983-1986 Leedsware was produced again on the initiative of Leeds City Council. 
See Pottery Field map.
         
Moor Road. Denison's made all kinds of weighing machines, weighbridges, scales etc. Their factory was on the site of Hunslet Foundry which was first recorded in 1772 (though it could have been in operation from 1742). The foundry probably made the rails for the Middleton Railway. The site is now occupied by Facultatieve Technologies UK.
See Hunslet Carr map.
A 1921 advertisement
A 1900-01 advertisement
Back to top
 
 
 
 
 
 
John Nicholson & Sons Ltd Joseph Kaye Lock Works Lax & Shaw Leeds Pottery Samuel Denison John Waddington Ltd.
Industry (4)
Continue to The Leeds Steelworks
Back to Industry (3)
Silver Cross
Silver Cross Works, Whitehouse Street. Silver Cross made high quality prams ("perambulators") between 1877 and 1936 in Hunslet. William Wilson, from Sunderland, established the business in small premises in Silver Cross Street, on the west side of Dewsbury Road, before moving to Whitehouse Steet in 1897. He was an engineer and inventor, holding more than 30 patents. He invented a spring suspension system and folding hood, and so produced the first modern pram. In the 1920s the company was the country's leading quality " -pram manufacturer - the "Rolls-Royce of prams  and supplied a baby carriage to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother (the present Queen also chose a Silver Cross pram when Prince Charles was born in 1948).  In 1936 the company moved to larger premises in Guiseley, north west Leeds. In recent years the company struggled to compete with cheaper, more modern imports. In 2002 it was bought out of receivership and by 2010 was thriving again. The company continues to produce a range of equipment from factories in China and Bingley, exporting world-wide.
See Jack Lane area map.
 
William Wilson and an early Silver Cross perambulator
Image copyright of Silver Cross
You are here: Home > Daily Life > Industry (4)
Image copyright of Leeds Library and Information Services
The kilns at Leeds Pottery (possibly around 1880)
.