They produced their first steam wagon at Ingham Street in 1901. In 1902 the company was bought by Deighton's Patent Flue & Tube Co. and they moved to a new site alongside that company's works and those of Mann's in Pepper Road. Steam wagon manufacture carried on until 1937.
See Pepper Lane area map.
Leathley Road. John Fowler (1826-1864), from Wiltshire, pioneered the use of steam cultivation from 1850. In 1861 Fowler & Hewitson established the Steam Plough Works at Leathley Road (close to James Kitsonís Airedale Foundry). They became one of the country's greatest agricultural engineering factories, making world-famous steam ploughs. Later they diversified into traction engines, road-rollers, railway rolling stock, generators, construction machinery, lorries and stationary machinery for industry and mines. They made tanks during the Second World War. In 1947 they merged to form Marshall-Fowler Ltd. The factory closed in 1974. The part of the site on the south side of Leathley Road was then occupied by E. J. Arnold, then Vickers, and is now a Costco trade warehouse. See Pottery Field map.
Plaque in the Costco car park
An advertisement from 1909-10
Midland Engine Works, Jack Lane, transferring in 1946 to the former Kitson works, the Airedale Foundry on Hunslet Road.
John and Henry McLaren started out in 1876 by making steam rollers, traction engines, ploughing engines and stationary engines. From 1926 they exploited the growing demand for diesel engines. Their customers were in the railway, power generation and marine sectors. They were taken over by Hawker Siddeley in 1957 and the works closed in 1959, except for a small specialist operation that closed in 1965.
See Pottery Field map.
An advertisement from 1905
Pepper Road. J.H.Mann had been an apprentice at McLaren's (see profile below). He set up a partnership in 1894 and a works in Canning Street, off Dewsbury Road to make traction engines, stationary engines and road rollers. In 1898 they made an agricultural steam cart, one of the first practical, load-carrying road vehicles. It was developed into the "Patent Steam Cart". In 1899 the company was registered. It moved to larger, modern works in Pepper Road in 1901. The period up to 1914 was their heyday, when they made 3 and 5 ton wagons. By 1926 they were having problems, and in 1929 they closed. Braithwaites later took over the premises.
See Pepper Lane area map.
A Fowler traction engine at Temple Newsam (photo 2009)
You are here: Home > Daily Life > Steam vehicles
John and Henry McLaren
A McLaren traction engine at Temple Newsam (photo 2009)
The former Mann's factory on Pepper
Road (photo 2009)